Top 5 things I want to see in New Zealand:
1. Auckland – Capital of New Zealand is my first stop.
2. Christchurch – Affected by a major earthquake almost two years ago, I still want to see this city.
3. Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa – New Zealand’s national museum, located in Wellington, is a portal to lost worlds.
4. Tongariro Crossing – New Zealanders love a good nature walk, or tramp, as they call it. While the 53-kilometre Milford Track is probably the best known, people looking for a tramping adventure may prefer the Tongariro Crossing. Stretching 19 kilometres most people complete the walk in a single day, although there are Department of Conservation huts along the route for those who want to break up the journey.
5. Waitomo glow worm walk – A path that allows you to view the larvae of the fungus gnat may not sound like a tourist magnet, yet the sight of tens of thousands of the organisms, better known as glow worms, is incredible. Most people who travel to Waitomo, about two-and-a-half hours’ drive from Auckland, pay to go into caves and see the unforgettable sight. Some pay substantially more to go blackwater rafting, which involves floating in tire tubes through the underground caves where the glow worms live.